OUV provided by Reconstructions
WHS whose OUV is derived in whole or part from anachronistic reconstructions (taking place sine mid 19th C). This aspect should either be identified in the "Statement of OUV" or else in statements in the AB Evaluation relating to the OUV.
The connection belongs to World Heritage Process connections.
- Fortified City of Carcassonne: "The historic town of Carcassonne is an excellent example of a medieval fortified town whose massive defences were constructed on walls dating from Late Antiquity. It is of exceptional importance by virtue of the restoration work carried out in the second half of the 19th century by Viollet-le-Duc, which bad a profound influence on subsequent developments in conservation principles and practice." (AB Eval proposed statement of OUV under Crit ii and iv)
- San Marino and Mount Titano: "the medieval historic centre was not subject to major interventions until the Romantic Movement reconstruction works from the end of the 19th century. The comprehensive restorations form a part of the history of the Historic Centre of San Marino. According to the State Party, Gino Zaniâ€™s interventions in the 20th century has allowed the entire city became a sort of Gesamtkunstwerk, where every single detail was studied with care, showing in its stones the history of the independent Republic. This palimpsest reflects the medieval revival conservation philosophy in Europe at the time" (AB Eval)
- Warsaw: "Criterion (vi): The Historic Centre of Warsaw is an exceptional example of the comprehensive reconstruction of a city that had been deliberately and totally destroyed. The foundation of the material reconstruction was the inner strength and determination of the nation, which brought about the reconstruction of the heritage on a unique scale in the history of the world.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to OUV provided by Reconstructions?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source