Built in the 20th century
These WHS were all constructed between 1901 and 2000.
The connection belongs to Timeline connections.
- Asmara: emerged from the successive planning phases from 1893 until 1941 (first plan 1908)
- Auschwitz Birkenau: Auschwitz I was first constructed to hold Polish political prisoners, who began to arrive in May 1940. (wiki)
- Bahá’i Holy Places: Shrine of the Bab and the Gardens
- Bauhaus Sites: In 1919 the Schools of Art and of Applied Arts of the Grand Duchy of Saxony were combined to form the State Bauhaus of Weimar. The building of the former had been constructed in two phases, in 1904 and 1911 (AB ev)
- Berlin Modernism Housing Estates: Earliest is Tuschkastensiedlung Falkenberg, 1913-16
- Bikini Atoll: Nuclear test site from 1946 to 1958
- Brasilia: Inaugurated in 1960.
- Centennial Hall: The Centennial Exhibition opened in May 1913 (AB ev)
- Central University City Campus of the UNAM: Completed in 1954.
- Ciudad Universitaria de Caracas: 1960s.
- Fagus Factory: 1911
- Genbaku Dome: After atomic bomb of 6 August 1945
- Grimeton Radio Station: The transmitter was constructed between 1922 and 1924
- Ir. D.F. Woudagemaal: Open since 7 October 1920
- Kaiping Diaolou: mainly constructed in the 1920s and 1930s (AB ev)
- Le Havre: In summer 1944, with a group architect colleagues Auguste Perret (1874-1954), then 70 years old, took the lead in the project of reconstruction of the town. (AB ev)
- Luang Prabang: Due to its OUV "in the years between 1915 and 1925 a new concept, that of urbanizatlon, was Introduced" (AB ev), though there are older temples and stupas
- Luis Barragán House and Studio: The house in number 14 was built in 1948. (AB ev)
- Osun-Osogbo: Although the cultural significance of the Grove dates back to Yoruba mythological periods what is "on show" is largely a 20th century manifestation. "Susanne Wenger, with the support of the Ataoja, formed a group with native traditional artists who started to erect decorated walls, giant sculptures and buildings around the shrines and remains of the palaces. ... "resulting in more than 40 powerful sculptures (or ensemble of sculptures) and sculptural architectures. The 'New Sacred Art' and the artists attached to that movement which started in the 1950's are today internationally recognized..." "This work that has been developed over the past 50 years in the grove is not only a masterpiece of modern art (Modern Sacred Art) but also an authentic illustration of the myths attached to the grove, and, more simply, has saved it from vanishing." (Nom File)
- Palau de la Musica Catalana and Hospital de Sant Pau: These two monuments are masterpieces of the imaginative and exuberant Art Nouveau that flowered in early 20th century. (AB ev)
- Pampulha: From 1940 on
- Rabat: Ville Nouvelle was started in 1912, and that gave the city its unique plan (combined with historic quarters)
- Rhaetian Railway: 1908-10
- Rietveld Schröderhuis: Built in 1924 (AB ev)
- Riga: A significant part of the inscribed area consists of buildings constructed in the Latvian Art Nouveau style from 1905
- Rjukan / Notodden: Three of the pioneering power plant buildings (Vemork, Såheim and Tinfos II) constructed between 1905 and 1940 are intact and still in use. (AB ev)
- Schokland: Located in the agricultural landscape of the Noordoostpolder, which was created in 1942
- Sewell Mining Town: 1904
- Skogskyrkogarden: Work began in 1917 and the formal consecration of the Woodland Cemetery and its first chapel, the Woodland Chapel (designed by Asplund), took place in 1920. (AB ev)
- Stoclet House: 1905-1911
- Sydney Opera House: Opened in 1973.
- The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier: 1923-1965
- Tugendhat Villa: the villa was completed by the end of 1930 (AB ev)
- Van Nellefabriek: 1920's
- Warsaw: Its OUV lies in the reconstruction techniques and effort, that happened after 1945
- White City of Tel-Aviv: based on the urban master plan by Sir Patrick Geddes (1925-27) (AB ev)
- Works of Antoni Gaudí: Parque Guell 1900-1914 Casa Mila 1906-1910 Nativity facade of Sagrada Familia 1886-2026 (?) Casa Balto 1905-1907 Crypt of Colonila Guell (1898-1916)
- Zollverein: In 1927 two young architects, Martin Kremmer and Fritz Schupp, began work on designing the new central shaft site XII on the principle of "form follows function".
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 20th century?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source