Built into natural caves with possible outside features and carving.
The connection belongs to Architecture connections.
- Budapest: Gellert Cave Chapel
- Cliff of Bandiagara: Dwellings include altars, sanctuaries
- Golden Temple of Dambulla
- Göreme NP
- Island of Patmos: Cave of the Apocalypse
- Longmen Grottoes
- Mogao Caves
- Monastery of Geghard
- Mount Emei, including Leshan Giant Buddha: Emeishan's Jiulao Cave of Xianfeng Temple
- Mount Wutai: Shancai and Shangshancai cave temples
- Ohrid Region: Struga
- Paphos: Agia Solomoni
- Qadisha Valley
- Rock-hewn Churches of Ivanovo
- Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple: Seokguram Grotto
- Silk Roads: Bin, Maijishan, Kizil and more
- Skocjan Caves: A valuable archaeological find in Fly Cave (Slovene: Mušja jama) indicates the influence of Greek civilization, where a cave temple was located after the end of the Bronze Age and in the Iron Age (wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cave Temples/Churches?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source