WHS that consist of two separate towns, whose history is linked (sometimes leading to strong rivalry).
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Bauhaus Sites: Weimar & Dessau
- Budapest: Buda and Pest, separate cities until 1873
- Caves of Maresha and Bet Guvrin: "the ancient twin towns of Maresha and Bet Guvrin" (AB ev)
- Cesky Krumlov: Krumlov and Latran - where the castle is located- used to constitute two distinct towns separated by the river.
- Dubrovnik: Dubrovnik and Ragusa were separate entities until the 12th Century.
- La Chaux-de-Fonds / Le Locle: La Chaux-de-Fonds & Le Locle
- Lednice-Valtice Cultural Landscape: Lednice & Valtice
- Mantua and Sabbioneta: Mantua & Sabbioneta
- Melaka and George Town: Melaka and George Town rivalled over trade hegemony in the 18th / 19th century
- Nan Madol: Nan Madol and Lelu (The similarity between the two sites is stressed in the Nom file as well as the future intention to extend the nomination to include Lelu.)
- Qhapaq Ñan: Santa Ana and Vale Colorado - Almost an entire page is dedicated to the description of their shared culture in the nomination file
- Quebrada de Humahuaca: Tilcara and Maimara are in such strong rivalry that it sometimes comes to physical violence between their inhabitants Link
- Regensburg: Regensburg and Stadtamhof: the latter was a rival neighbouring city until its incorporation in the 20th century.
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans: Arc-et-Senans & Salins-les-Bains
- Stralsund and Wismar
- Úbeda and Baeza: Ubeda & Baeza
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Twin Towns?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source