Subterranean Cultural Sites
Cultural WHS whose OUV lies entirely/significantly in items which are subterranean and which therefore require a journey underground to visit them (excluding Cave paintings etc which have their own Connection and sites for instance in which an underground mine is just part of the inscribed site)
The connection belongs to Trivia connections.
- Ancient Thebes: Valley of the Kings
- Archaeological Site of Aigai
- Caves of Maresha and Bet Guvrin
- Champagne: underground cellars
- Early Christian Necropolis of Pécs
- Göreme NP: Subterranean city of Kaymakli, Subterranean city of Derinkuyu
- Hal Saflieni Hypogeum
- Neolithic Flint Mines at Spiennes
- Tarnowskie Góry Lead-Silver Mine
- The Persian Qanat: A significant aspect of the Qanats OUV is the extent of the underground workings - including the longest Qaant in the world
- Thracian tomb of Kazanlak
- Wieliczka and Bochnia Royal Salt Mines
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Subterranean Cultural Sites?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source