Historic zone of Basseterre

Historic zone of Basseterre is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
1998 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I have been twice in St. Kitts. The first time was in the year 1996, with a LIAT air pass that permitted me to visit many Caribbean islands during a whole month, for a very reasonable price. At that time I spent two days in St Kitts visiting its capital (Basseterre) plus the Brimstone Hill fort, called the Gibraltar of the Western Indies.
The reason to travel again to St Kitts, in 2008, was to the desire to visit Nevis Island, which in my first time I had neglected.

The second time that I traveled to that country was in the year 2008, when I reached Nevis from Kingstown, in St. Vincent. Then I boarded the ferry Mark Twain from the Island of Nevis until Basseterre, capital of St. Kitts, name given by Columbus for his saint name Christopher.
In Basseterre I saw again the Circus Square with the watch, the Catholic Cathedral (in which patio I spent the night, like in my first journey in 1996) and the local market.
The day that I left St. Kitts I walked from Basseterre to the airport (not very far away) and flew to Antigua Island in order to visit Barbuda.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Historic zone of Basseterre? Share your experiences!

Add your own review