Cittá-fortezza di Palmanova

Cittá-fortezza di Palmanova is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2006 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Ian Cade (England):
Unknown to me, John S. below has written almost word for word my summary of this town. Though I probably wouldn’t use the word ‘boring’, more just ‘laid back’, though I was blessed with magnificent weather on my 30 minute stop en route to Aquileia.
The best way to view this town is if you are heading over on a plane (I landed at nearby Friuli Venezia Giulia Airport) which allows you to see the star shaped lay out, or you could just have a look on a satellite map.

The unique lay out means that it can be a touch disorientating as all the roads look the same as they radiate from the central square to the bulky town walls. I really enjoyed my espresso in the great café next to the Duomo whilst watching the fleet of vintage Vespa’s parading around the square, and after a quick climb of the fortifications I was off on my merry way.

It is a charming little place, that I can’t imagine getting inscribed on the World Heritage List on its own, but is certainly worth a brief stop for a coffee and a wander.
[Site 2: Experience 5]
Date posted: August 2012
John S. (USA):
This site is wonderful from an aerial perspective. But the town is a boring sleepy town without the mystery of Sabbioneta near Mantova. A worthy thirty-minute stop towards Aquilea.
Date posted: July 2011

Have you been to Cittá-fortezza di Palmanova? Share your experiences!

Add your own review