Centre historique d'Irkoutsk

Centre historique d'Irkoutsk is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
1998 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
When the tsar Alexander I died, without direct descendants, he was substituted by his younger brother Nikolai I, with a military career, instead of being Constantine, tsar elder brother, who enjoyed the favours of the officials with liberal and reformist ideas.
During December 1825 (that is why they are called Decembrists) the intellectuals protested against the new tsar Nikolai I and five of them were executed, but 116, all aristocrats, were condemned to forced labour and dispatched to Siberia in exile. Among the several inhospitality places where they were sent, there was Irkutsk, where they performed an educative task with the population, were very much appreciated, and considered martyrs and heroes.
Today, some of the wooden houses where the Decembrist lived are museums, with two floors, furniture of the epoch, piano, etc., where you can enter for a few roubles.
Do not miss Trubetzkoi House and Volkonskii House. Visits are from 10.00 to 18.00. Tuesdays are closed.
Date posted: July 2013
Jarek Pokrzywnicki (Poland):
I was in Irkoutsk in June 2008. If anyone wants to see the old Siberian Russian wooden architecture, please hurry up, not much is left of what was once a typical XIX century town. Old houses are deminishing all the time and they are constantly replaced by "modern" architecture. There are no plans (at least they are not visible) to halt that process, only a few houses in historic center were carefully restored. All others are just left on their own. Very sad. But nevertheless the old Russian Siberian architecture is fantastic, all wooden ornaments are very interesting. If they only preserve ...
Date posted: February 2009

Have you been to Centre historique d'Irkoutsk? Share your experiences!

Add your own review