Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Eglises romanes d'Andorre

Eglises romanes d'Andorre is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Clyde (Malta):
I visited the Church of Sant Miquel d'Engolasters by chance in May 2014 when visiting Andorra's only inscribed WHS. There are some information boards but its condition, its location close to the mountain pass and the fact that it's always pretty much closed didn't impress me much. The churches of the Vall de Boi in Spain are way better.
Date posted: July 2014
Els Slots (The Netherlands):
I visited the 12th century romanesque Church of Sant Miquel d'Engolasters, which lies just outside the core zone of Andorra's only WHS so far. The little church is easy to spot as it stands close to the road that leads up to the Lake of Engolasters. It is one of 8 sites that together form this TWHS.

It really is a minor site where a visit shouldn't take more then 5 minutes. The church door was locked so I didn't get in - but its original frescoes have been taken away long ago to the MNAC museum in Barcelona. Most interesting is its tall bell tower, which looks very vulnerable. One decent storm and the dry stone will crumble away. At the highest arch a sculpture representing a human face can be seen.
Date posted: July 2014
Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
During one of my last visits to Andorra, in the times of the Spanish pesetas, when buying some goods were much cheaper than in Spain (not presently anymore), I had a lot of time before taking my bus back to Barcelona.
One of the churches that I most liked in its capital, Andorra la Vella, was the Sant Esteve Church, juts in downtown, besides the commercial centers.
That Romanic style church, apart from being very old (built in the XI century)
Was interesting because a famous architect of the Modernism in Barcelona (Josep Puig Cadafalch), made some works of reconstruction in it.
It was open when I was there, so I could visit it inside and was admired to notice the murals in its walls.
Date posted: September 2013

Have you been to Eglises romanes d'Andorre? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Eglises romanes d'Andorre
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Andorra

Site History:
1999 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact