Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Hamad Town Tumuli Moundfield

Hamad Town Tumuli Moundfield is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Els Slots (The Netherlands):
The Tumuli fields are the most distinguishable historical landmarks of Bahrain. There are a number of them in the northwest of the island. The one at Hamad was the first one that I encountered - it's located next to the main road. Somehow I had thought of it as a remote archeological site, but this field (and the others that I saw) is right in the middle of a town. Think of the size of a football pitch or a small park. And then it's just sandy hills with small rocks as far as you can see. Unfortunately there are no interpretative signs on site. The bigger field at A'Ali I even found full of garbage and litter. I don't think that they are being worked into proper tourist sites (and possibly WHS).

The National Museum of Bahrain has good displays about these tumuli. There are so many of them left (170000!) that once it was even thought that people from the Arab mainland were buried here (and that Bahrain was an island solely for the dead). But statistics proved that there were tumuli accounting for 1 dead every 3 days, leading to a local population of about 4500 inhabitants.
Date posted: October 2010
Paul Tanner (UK):
We visited most of Bahrain’s T List sites in 2005 and, with Bahrain hosting the 2011 WHC, are interested to guess which (if any) might be inscribed as that country’s “reward”! Could it be the “Hamad Town Tumuli Moundfield” site? Well this site appears to have been superseded by the “Burial sites of Dilmun and Tylos” which includes the mounds around Hamad in tis own right so it isn’t clear why Bahrain has left it on its T List. We saw these but felt that the Aali area provided a better site if you have to choose just 1 (there are plenty to choose from and you are likely to drive past several in getting to one to view in detail).
Date posted: February 2009

Have you been to Hamad Town Tumuli Moundfield? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Hamad Town Tumuli Moundfield
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Bahrain

Site History:
2001 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:
» 62 burial mounds near Hamad Town saved from bulldozers (16-05-2010).

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact