The Great Inka Trail: state transportation system originally named "Qhapac Nan"

The Great Inka Trail: state transportation system originally named "Qhapac Nan" is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2001 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I left my friends in Loja, in Ecuador, and entered Peru through Macará.
At the border I was granted 90 days stay in Peru. Hurrah! I wanted to stay in Peru a minimum of three months, so that 90 days permit was great. I was not asked how much money I carried with me (very little, scarcely 50 US Dollars) or a ticket out of the country (I had none).
I wished to get to Machu Picchu following part of the 40.000 kilometers of roads of the Old Inca Trail through the Andes uniting the Inca Empire, called in Quechua Tawantisuyo, or Tahuantinsuyu, whichmeans Four Regions (from Ecuador to Chile and Argentina, and from the Brazilian jungles to the Atlantic Ocean).
I hitchhiked but I had to work for the rides. Lorries carrying goods picked me up and I helped to sell fruits in the markets. I stopped in Cajamarca, where Atahualpa, the last Inca King, was sentenced to death by Pizarro for having ordered the murder of his half brother (and also Inca King) Huascar and all the members of his family.
Kuelap was the first Inca fortress that I visited, where I spent two days climbing to its citadel.
Via Chachapoyas, Moyobamba and Tarapoto I arrived to Juanjui. In order to continue further, to Tingo Maria, I had to travel by motorboat along the Huallaga River via Sion. I was advised not to go there because in Sion there is no law. But it was too late to back down.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to The Great Inka Trail: state transportation system originally named "Qhapac Nan"? Share your experiences!

Add your own review