Sites of fossilized dinosaurs throughout the Southern seacoast

Sites of fossilized dinosaurs throughout the Southern seacoast is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2009Requested by State Party to not be examined at WHC sessionNomination of "Korean Cretaceous Dinosaur Coast" withdrawn
2002 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Kyle Magnuson (United States of America):
I visited the dinosaur footprints in Goseong. (Right next to a brand new dinosaur museum, mostly for kids). Footprints are interesting, but the beauty of the rugged coast is likely the major highlight for most visitors. I was glad I could make out the footprints and track ways; they are easy to spot because the footprints are usually filled with small pools of water, which comes with the change of tide. Not only were the footprints fairly easy to make out, it was possible to distinguish different dinosaur species amongst the footprints. As a serial site there are 3-4 other footprint locations along the southern coast. I would certainly be interested in visiting another site, perhaps the site in Uhang-ri near Mokpo. Despite the WHC rejection in 2009, this is a great place to visit.
Date posted: June 2011

Have you been to Sites of fossilized dinosaurs throughout the Southern seacoast? Share your experiences!

Add your own review