Sites, lieux et itineraires augustiniens du Maghreb central

Sites, lieux et itineraires augustiniens du Maghreb central is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2002 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I specially travelled from Constantine to Annaba in order to pay my respects to one of the wisest men of the Humankind: Saint Augustine of Hippo.
I had visited the Basilique Notre-Dame d’Afrique, Algiers, and inside I was told by a French priest that in the Basilica in Annaba I would find a bone of Saint Augustine. So, I resolved to get there.
I was not disappointed. The Catholic Basilica in Annaba was superb and located in a wonderful place facing the sea, heading to Rome.
At the gate there was an imposing statue representing Saint Augustine.
The priest in Annaba was a national from Congo (Kinshasa) and was very friendly giving us (there were pilgrims) explanations about the life of Saint Augustine.
After that visit I walked to the ruins of the old Hippo, just beneath the Basilica, and then to the downtown, where I found accommodation in front of the railway station.
The next day I took a train straight to Oran.
Date posted: June 2014

Have you been to Sites, lieux et itineraires augustiniens du Maghreb central? Share your experiences!

Add your own review