Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Christiansfeld, the Town

Christiansfeld, the Town is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Els Slots (The Netherlands):
Christiansfeld is an easy site to visit on the way between the Jelling WHS and Hamburg, and well worth a short stop. Itís a small town that has preserved its planned layout and original architecture well. It was founded around 1773 by Dutch members of a protestant mission group, the Herrenhutter or Moravian Brethren.

I walked Christianfeldís picturesque main streets in about half an hour. The straight roads are lined with rows of linden. The sturdy houses are made of light coloured bricks. The undoubted highlight is the huge wooden Moravian Church, located at a fine small square that would not be out of place in Holland or Flanders. No wonder, as the Dutch town of Zeist has been used as an example for Christiansfeldís construction.

Without a brilliantly written nomination file, focussing on the fate of the Protestant Herrenhutter, chances are low that this will ever become a WHS. To my knowledge, Denmark isnít preparing a nomination. They tried Stevns Klint for 2013, but the file was dismissed incomplete.
Date posted: April 2013
Joanne (United States):
I was in Christiansfeld, Denmark in July of 1995. I had met my future husband 3 months earlier when he was home in Ohio on leave. I went to Germany for a 2 week visit, and a couple of days before I was supposed to leave, we headed to Denmark and got married. We will celebrate our 14th wedding anniversary on July 21st. We spent about a week in Christiansfeld. We did a lot of sight seeing. We had a great time. I will remember it forever. We are hoping to go back some day.
Date posted: June 2009

Have you been to Christiansfeld, the Town? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Christiansfeld, the Town
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Denmark

Site History:
1993 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:
» German Wikipedia-page: Christiansfeld.
» How the Moravian Church came to Christiansfeld.

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact