Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Sri Harimandir Sahib, Amritsar, Punjab

Sri Harimandir Sahib, Amritsar, Punjab is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
In 1989 I crossed overland the border Pakistan India and in Atari the Customs agents did not allow me to proceed further into India. They told me that it was forbidden to cross Punjab individually and I had to wait a bus coming from Istanbul which would appear after six hours. He confiscated my passport and small bag until I boarded that Turkish bus.
Six hours was too much time for me to wait. I proposed the agent to allow me to visit the golden Temple, in Amritsar, only a few kilometers away, and promised him to get back in time for theTurkish bus. I said that I would be generous. And saying this, I showed him a few ten rupees notes, ready to pass them to him.
He agreed and took my rupees, but my passport and bag would remain with him.
I caught a shared taxi and reached the most sacred temple for the Sikh religion, started to be erected by Guru Ram Das.
During three hours I visited everything inside the temple, and listen to the harmonic music played by some of the monks. Even I had a free lunch that the faithful Sikhs gave to all the visitors.
Back to the border I waited for the Turkish bus, but if was full and for taking me standing on the bus the driver asked me 20 US Dollars.
I refused and asked for help to the agent who allowed me to get to Amritsar. He then helped me to get into a military car to the border with Haryana, thus crossing the whole state of Punjab. Once in the border, in Ambala City, I hitchhiked and soon a bus, filled with Punjabi people, dropped me in Connaught Place, Delhi, for free.

Six months later, still during that same journey, I crossed again Punjab, that time it was open to the foreigners, and stayed inside the Golden Temple, Amritsar, invited during 3 days, participating in the Sikh ceremonies.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Sri Harimandir Sahib, Amritsar, Punjab? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Sri Harimandir Sahib, Amritsar, Punjab
This site is part of the Tentative list of: India

Site History:
2005Requested by State Party to not be examined at WHC session
Withdrawn by India
2004 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact