Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Cultural Landscape of Innsbruck-Nordkette/Karwendel

Cultural Landscape of Innsbruck-Nordkette/Karwendel is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I travelled to Innsbruck from Trento. The train stopped for almost half an hour at the border in the Brenner Alpine, but since I was not informed of the time that we had to wait, I did not risk going outside to explore the place, but remained in the train carriage waiting for the moment to continue to Austria.
There was no passport or customs control after crossing to Austria.
That train journey was wonderful. I saw the Dolomites, small Italian and Austrian villages, snowy peaks, green valleys and glacial rivers.
Innsbruck is the capital of Tirol. It seemed to me a very pleasant city, in spite of the cold.
At the tourist office, close to the railway station, I was given many pamphlets and maps of the city, even in Spanish language. Then I learnt that Innsbruck is a candidate to become a UNESCO site.
The main highlight was the Goldenes Dachi (Golden Roof), the symbol of the city. It was a building dating from the end of the XV century and had many sculptures and frescoes on its walls. From the balcony the Governors could sit and enjoy the sighting of the tournaments celebrated in front of the building.
I still saw the cathedral, magnificent squares with monuments and imposing palace. The mountains of the Alps were just in front of the city.
Although the town was beautiful, my best remembering was the train trip from Trento to Innsbruck.
After four hours walking around I travelled by train and bus to Vaduz, in Liechtenstein.
Date posted: April 2014
Assif Am-David (Israel):
I didn't quite understand what this cultural landscape is all about. Innsbruck has a nice historical city centre, but nothing exceptional, not even for Austria. The Alps make a beautiful setting, but again, not unlike other Alpine sites already on the list.
Date posted: November 2011
Jakob Frenzel (Germany):
We have been to the Karwendelgebirge last year. The view from the Gerberkreuz is horendous and also Innsbruck is a nice old town with a beautiful panorama.
Date posted: September 2008

Have you been to Cultural Landscape of Innsbruck-Nordkette/Karwendel? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Cultural Landscape of Innsbruck-Nordkette/Karwendel
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Austria

Site History:
2002 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact