Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Mistaken Point

Mistaken Point is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

S. B. Misra (India):
It is surprising that the site remains without signage. I wish I could put some interpretative sign boards there. I remember every bit of the area even after 40 years of my long association with the fossils and rocks of the region.I am in the possession of fossil bearing original rocks and casts of fossis. My Masters thesis submitted to Memorial University details the terrain how it was like in 1967-69.
Date posted: October 2011
Mary Moylan (Canada):
I came across this site almost by accident. After a long hike with a friend through some medium difficult terrain and fording a small stream we came across these breathtaking rocks, full of fossils. Quite unprotected from the weather and no interpretative signage. This place desperately needs preservation and also protection as we could have walked on top of these precious remnants of human beginnings. We were the only two there but subsequently ran into the local archaeologist who filled us in on what we'd seen.
Date posted: November 2009

Have you been to Mistaken Point? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Mistaken Point
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Canada

Site History:
2004 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact