Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Magadansky State Nature Reserve

Magadansky State Nature Reserve is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
During August 2009 I made a 3 months journey to Siberia and back to Spain, overland, untill Magadan, crossing the Road of Bones, or Kalyma road.
I travelled together with four companions the last part of the journmey, from Yakutsk to Magadan, crosssing the whole oblast or región of Magadan. We made many stops to admire the flora and fauna of Magadan region.

It is not difficult at all to make the Road of Bones, even if you go alone will always find cars to cross from Yakutsk to Magadan or viceversa. From Magadan to Susuman there are regular buses every 48 hours, or shared taxis every day. The same happens between Yakutsk and Khandiga. You can hitch hike the rest of the road. If you are in a hurry, in 4 or 5 days you can do it, as follows:

Yakutsk - Khandiga - Ust Nera - Susuman - Magadan.

There are hostels everywhere, and restaurants. So, do not worry, the Road of Bones is presently very used, especially in summertime.

But be aware that there is another Road of Bones, the authentic, that runs from Khandiga to Tomtor, the old road. It is harder, there are holes with water in the way from Tomtor to Susuman (to connect with the new road) but many people cross it, even walking or by bike or in good land rovers (with the bukhanka I could not, after trying, and had to come back to take the new road untill Ust Nera, etc.).

Better try the old road !

Anyway, even if you take the new Road of Bones, it was a most interesting and remarkable journey !!!

If you have the opportunity and are brave enough, pls, DO IT!
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Magadansky State Nature Reserve? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Magadansky State Nature Reserve
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Russia

Site History:
2005 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact