Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

The Central Slave and Ivory Trade Route

The Central Slave and Ivory Trade Route is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
Two great explorers, David Livingstone and Henry Morton Stanley met in Ujiji in 1871. Stanley said the celebrated phrase: “Doctor Livingstone, I presume”.

Today, a small and naïve museum captures this moment in this museum exposing two papier mache figures representing these two personages, plus some paintings.
The old slave road is close to the market. From there the slaves were cruelly sent, on chains, to Zanzibar island to be sold in USA and other countries.

To get to Kigoma first, and then to Ujiji, you have a 40 hours journey by train from Dar es Salaam. The ticket (in 1991 ehrn I travelled there by train) was very cheap.
From Kigoma you can catch a boat and navigate during 12 hours to Bujumbura through the Lake Tanganyka (that was what I did and the journey was great!) You need a permit that will be issued to you for a small fee after 24 hours.
Well, Stanley massacred many Africans in Congo, and entire villages, that is why I only admire Livingstone.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to The Central Slave and Ivory Trade Route? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

The Central Slave and Ivory Trade Route
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Tanzania

Site History:
2012Incomplete - not examined
2011Incomplete - not examined
2010Incomplete - not examined
2006 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact