Les Iles Marquises

Les Iles Marquises is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
1996 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
In May 2012, I bought in Papeete an airpass for less than 600 euro with four flights to the four Marquesas Islands with airport: Nuku Hiva, Ua Pou, Ua Huka and Hiva Oa.
I was very intereste in visiting those islands because they were discovered by the great Spanish explorer don Alvaro de Mendaņa, who named them: Islas Marquesas de Mendoza.
Usually tourists prefer to visit only one island, Hiva Oa, for its history related to Paul Gauguin and Jacques Brel. It is in that island that is located the famous tikis and a Polynesian marae. I reachedthere hitch hiking.

In all, I visited the four islands in an eight days journey, two days per island, which was enough for my purposes.

Nuku Hiva is the first island that you will visit coming from Papeete. It is nice but the airport is far from the main village and taxis are expensive. Fortunately hitch hiking is popular and people are helpful.

Many people have tatooes, they all are very religious and Sunday is a great day where you can observe the locals going to the churches.
They love to dance and during my 8 days stay I observed several dance performances. On sunday night they like to play bingo.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Les Iles Marquises? Share your experiences!

Add your own review