Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Upper Sepik River Basin

Upper Sepik River Basin is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I arrived by bus to Lae and I stayed one day there in honour of Amelia Earhardt, the famous North American pilot who disappeared after leaving Lae with her airplane in her around the world journey. She was only 39.
The hostels offered by the protestant missions are very useful and charge very little to spend the night. They even can arrange you flights in their airplanes (I flew with them from Vanima to Jayapura for less than 40 US dollars), and they have ferries from Madang to Wewak.
One of the wonders of PNG is the Sepik River and the tribes,where I spent one week. I got there from Wewak. I spent the first night in a hostel owned by a German ex-priest in Wewak. Then I hitchhiked until Angoram. From Angoram you can get up the river with local canoes. First you have to meet the chief of the village to ask permission to sleep. He will show you a local family where you can sleep and eat. I asked the chief to sleep in the House of the Spirits, called Haus Tambaram, but was refused. From Angoram I hired canoes and visited Kambaramba and Swagup and spent several nights with the exotic people who sold me masks made with beetles. And back to Wewak I continued my trip to Vanimo and then I flew to Jayapura, in Indonesia, to visit the danis tribes in Baliem Valley, near Wamena.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Upper Sepik River Basin? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Upper Sepik River Basin
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Papua New Guinea

Site History:
2006 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact