Urban and Architectural Work of Le Corbusier in Chandigarh

Urban and Architectural Work of Le Corbusier in Chandigarh is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2010DeferredTo develop "a common notion of Outstanding Universal Value of the site"
2006 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
In those times (year 1989) I traveled free of charges around India boarding the carriages of the train reserved for the sadhus, or religious pilgrims.
I had just visited

I reached Kurukshetra by train and asked the sadhus for the place of the battle of Kurukshetra. They sent me to Jyotisar, about 7 kilometers further. I walked there and stayed three days and nights with the sadhus in an ashram with a pool. I was one more of them. Every day the faithful Hindus brought us food and sweets as prasaad for the pujas.
The battle of Kuruksetra,between the kauravas and the pandavas, is described in the epic poem Bhagavad Gita, written by the rishi Veda Vyasa

According to my sadhus friends, a sacred banyan tree that was standing in the ashram was eternal, and the only surviving witness of the battle of Kurukshetra between the kauravas and pandavas, that lasted 18 days, like the chapters of the holy book.

Jyotisar is for the Hindus as Jerusalem is for the Christians, Mecca for the Muslims or Etchmiadzine for the Armenians.

Then I returned to Kuruksetra and boarded the first available train to Shimla, but the train was too slowly (it took eleven hours for 100 kilometers!), the carriage was so crowded, sitting on the floor with two sadhus sleeping on my legs and shoulders, that in one of those long stops, in Chandigarh, resolved to get off the train and wait for another faster train.
There was another train at night, so I had the whole day to visit Chandigarh, a city, as soon discovered thanks to the information that supplied me the sadhus of my wagon that was designed by Le Corbusier, in the style of Canberra or Brasilia.
From the railway station to the downtown there were 6 kilometers that I walked.
Chandigarh consisted on blocks, about forty, so I was told, all symmetrical, at mathematical distances, and with about one million inhabitants.
I did not like that city, I found it too programmed, no natural, and there were few sadhus around, which is a bad symptom.
In the evening I walked back to the railway station and boarded the sadhus wagon in the fast train to Shimla, in Himachal Pradesh.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Urban and Architectural Work of Le Corbusier in Chandigarh? Share your experiences!

Add your own review