Le lac Tanganyika

Le lac Tanganyika is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2007 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I entered Burundi in the most fantastic possible way: by boat through the Tanganyika Lake, which is, after Baikal, the second deepest lake in the world.
From Kigoma, in Tanzania, to Bujumbura, in Burundi, it took me 12 hours of pleasant navigation remembering the great travellers of the XIX century such as Livingstone, Stanley, Burton, Speke, and the forgotten Portuguese and Spanish explorers Pedro Paez (discoverer of the sources of the Blue Nile), Duarte Lopes (the first European to see and describe in books in 1578 Victoria, Nyassa andTanganyika lakes), or the Padre Silbeira (the first European to admire Livingstone Falls), who explored Africa several centuries before the English.
I stayed in the splendid hotel Burundi Palace where I only paid 10 US dollars a night in a single room.
From Bujumbura to Kigali (capital of Rwanda) there are daily services which journey takes 12 hours.
After three days exploring Burundi I left overland to Rwanda.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Le lac Tanganyika? Share your experiences!

Add your own review