Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks

Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Laraine Tumblin (USA):
I have visited the Newark Earthworks in Newark, Ohio and they truly are a wonder of the ancient world. The enormity of the Great Circle and Octagon astounded me and I will never forget the feeling I had when I first walked within the walls of these two sites.

I encourage everyone to visit!
Date posted: January 2011
Keith Warren (United States of America):
I've visited the Newark Earthworks on more than one occasion. They are simply astonishing--both enormous and mysterious. As reminders of a great and yet poorly understood period of Native American culture they are unparalleled.
Amy Martin (USA):
The Great Octagon - the finest example of an ancient lunar observatory. This site represents a milestone in human understanding of the solar system. No other lunar site in the world is so sophisticated or well preserved. It is one of the easiest earthworks to access and so present a prime opportunity to bring this little known chapter in human development to the public eye.
Christine Ballengee Morris (USA):
The Newark Earthworks are incredible. The Octagon structure, at night, illustrates the lunar calendar constructs. The Great Circle is smaller in size but easy to access and includes a small museum. I have enjoyed many earth structure in the United States, Brazil, Ireland, and Portugal and the Hopewell structures are worth visiting.
Jeff Gill (USA):
Having had the privilege of leading group tours and school groups around the Newark Earthworks for years, I never fail to be delighted and amazed by how these mounds and enclosures affect those who visit. Some come from far away with long considered intent, and their knowledge and passion are always inspiring, but I really enjoy the reaction from people who have been driving past the mounds for their whole lives, and then "come to visit," and you see them open up to the site and the stories within. There's a look on their faces as they start to take in what they've long seen but not noticed -- World Heritage status will enhance & increase that experience.
Bob Sholis (United States):
Ilive very close to the Earthworks in Newark, Ohio. They are an incredible testimony to ancient civilization, and are worthy of much more appreciation and astonishment.

Have you been to Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks
This site is part of the Tentative list of: USA

Site History:
2008 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact