Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

The Rise of Systematic Biology

The Rise of Systematic Biology is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Ian Cade (England):
The title is somewhat obtuse but this serial site is focused on sites within Sweden associated with Carl Linnaeus. A sunny Sunday return to Uppsala allowed me to visit perhaps the most important part of this tentative site the Linnaean home and garden.

It was a rather pleasant diversion to walk through the garden, looking at the well labelled plants, enjoying the water features and just luxuriating in the bright evening sun. The site reminded me a little of the already inscribed Botanic Garden in Padua with elements of Darwin's home at Downe which seems to have been discouraged from seeking world heritage status. I guess the comparison to Darwin is bound to come out, as both have had a major impact on science, though apparently Linnaeus is the most influential person in history, if you take references on Wikipedia as an accurate guide. There are other sites around Uppsala that make up this proposal, as well as one in the south of Sweden, you can see a map of them here.

To be honest the Linnaean garden was pleasant and certainly had merit, though I imagine whether it gets inscribed on the list will have to do with the fine tuning of the application process rather than it having more merit than other proposals. However it certainly is worth visiting especially as it is located in the charming university town of Uppsala, one of Sweden's nicest cities.

Site 4: Experience 4
Date posted: August 2014

Have you been to The Rise of Systematic Biology? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

The Rise of Systematic Biology
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Sweden

Site History:
2009 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact