Silk Roads Sites in Kyrgyzstan

Silk Roads Sites in Kyrgyzstan is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
2010 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
The main well known wonders of this small country bordering China, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan are the beautiful lake Issyk-Kul, which means Holy Lake, where you can admire the Tian Shan Mountains, then the exotic bazaars of Osh. Very few travel to the remains of an old caravanserai along the legendary Silk Road: Tash Rabat (it is in a rarely frequented path to China and hard to find; even the locals ignore its existence).

In Tash Rabat you can sleep in a stone yurt provided that you brought a very warm sleeping bag. It is said thatthe place was originally a Nestorian monastery.
The feeling to be in that exotic, remote and historical caravanserai made me immensely happy.

From Tash Rabat you can join again the road to Sinkiang, in China, walking and hitch hiking through the Torugart Pass (3752 meters), what I did successfully and trucks drivers helped me. Once in China, Kashgar, you will be surprised to find so many facilities for the tourists: good food, regular transport, internet, beers, etc., it is like crossing from Papua New Guinea to Japan.

Thanks to countries like Kyrgyzstan the travellers realize that in the XXI century there are still marvels to discover in this beautiful planet Earth.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Silk Roads Sites in Kyrgyzstan? Share your experiences!

Add your own review