Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Historic city of Ahmadabad

Historic city of Ahmadabad is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I went to Gujarat for the first time in the year 1988, by train, in the wagon reserved to the sadhus, where ticket is not needed.
Many years later I crossed again Gujarat, that time hitchhiking, which is not easy in India, on my way to Diu Island.
During the first time I visited the house (today museum) where Mohandas Gandhi had lived, called Sabarmati ashram, in the city of Ahmedabad.
It is located in downtown Ahmedabad, on the banks of the River Sabarmati. But everybody knew it as Gandhi ashram.
The visit was very didactic. A guide explained me the humble and Spartan life of Gandhi. I was shown the dormitory, the garden, and in general all the ashram. There were followers of Gandhi, like monks, in its premises.
Until recently, I had always considered Gandhi very highly in my esteem, the apostle of the nonviolence, but lately I learnt that he badly treated his wife, and also that he slept with young girls (apparently only sleeping to feel their bodies, and nothing else), so now my admiration for him declined.
Date posted: September 2013

Have you been to Historic city of Ahmadabad? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Historic city of Ahmadabad
This site is part of the Tentative list of: India

Site History:
2011 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact