Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid Region

Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid Region is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
In September of the year 1996 I had just obtained the Albanian visa in Istanbul and that same day I caught a bus to Thessaloniki, then to Kastoria, where I changed to a third bus into Albania.
In those times a visa was compulsory to get into Albania, at least for Spanish citizens.
My neighbors in the bus were a young and nice couple from Pogradec and they invited me to spend a couple of nights in their house. They said that it would be a pity passing through Pogradec and not visiting it. I agreed and descended with them in Pogradec, by the shores of the Lake Ohrid.
I loved the situation of Pogradec, but my friends did not propose me to visit any museum, apart from an old church and a gallery of icons, so we only walked around the Lake Ohrid stoping when we were tired to drink a wine in a restaurant.
For lunch they ordered Ohrid trout, which was delicious. They said that those trouts are endemic of the Lake Ohrid. According to them the Queen Elizabeth from England loves that fish so much that she uses to order them from time to time to bring them to her palace.
The third day I reached Tirana, by bus.
Date posted: April 2014

Have you been to Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid Region? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid Region
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Albania

Site History:
2011 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact