Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Turks and Caicos Islands

Turks and Caicos Islands is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
Many years ago, I bought in Miami a very cheap ticket with American Airlines to Providenciales Island, in Turks and Caicos, with the condition of staying there at least three days and three nights.
Apart from swimming in its beaches there is no much to do there. In my case the most interesting was the friendship that I made with the foreign workers.
Working people are mainly from Haiti and Dominican Republic. There is a grand supermarket outside of the main village (in the whole archipelago live about 12.000 people), where is situated theairport.
The islands were discovered by Spanish conquistador Juan Ponce de Leon, the same who arrived to Florida in 1512 when searching for the Fountain of Eternal Youth.
Many historians assure that Columbus first landed in Grand Turk Island during his epic journey in 1492, belonging to the group of Turks and Caicos, and called it San Salvador, although many others affirm that the first landing occurred in Watling Island, in the Bahamas.
In the past the main industry was the recollection of salt, but today is the recollection of tourists and many rich North American have a second residence there.
In the beginning these islands where annexed to Jamaica, and later to Bahamas, but when these previous British colonies obtained the independence, Turk and Caicos preferred to continue forming part of the United Kingdom as colony.
The good thing about Turks and Caicos for the traveller on the cheap is that at the airport, when landing, nobody asks you for the booking of the hotel where you are supposed to stay, and then you can sleep in the beach.
The first day I slept on the beach and then noticed that a great house in front of me was being built, but it had no roofs, no doors nor even windows, only the walls, so the second night I dared to go inside and slept on the floor, inside a bare room.
The third day also I slept there.
The forth day, when I walked back to the airport to catch my plane back to Miami, I learnt though an Haitian worker with whom I made friendship since the first day of my arrival, that the house where I had spent my last two nights belonged to the movies actor Michael Douglas.
Date posted: July 2013

Have you been to Turks and Caicos Islands? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Turks and Caicos Islands
This site is part of the Tentative list of: UK

Site History:
2012 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact