L'amphitheatre de Durres

L'amphitheatre de Durres is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
1996 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party
1991RejectedOf importance to Albania but does not meet WHS criteria

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
In the year 1996 I needed visa to enter Albania, which I easily obtained from the nice staff in the Albanian Consulate in Istanbul.
The next day I took a bus to Kastoria, in Greece and then to Pogradec, in Albania, where I spent the night. The next day I visited the lake Ohrid, and two days later I reached Durres, via Tirana, to catch a ferry to Bari, in Italy.
I arrived to Durres about 10 o’clock in the morning and the ferry was in the night, so I had a lot of time to getting to explore its tourist attractions. In my bus ride from Tirana, two nice Albanian made friendship with me and they would be my cicerone during a few hours in Durres, what I appreciated.
I remember that the Roman Amphitheater was in a state of almost abandonment. There was no entry fee. In fact I do not remember having seen any guardian around. The amphitheater was not fenced, so my new friends and I walked around to visit it.
I am confident that in present times the local authorities will take better care of that Amphitheater.
Date posted: September 2013

Have you been to L'amphitheatre de Durres? Share your experiences!

Add your own review