Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

L'amphitheatre de Durres

L'amphitheatre de Durres is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
In the year 1996 I needed visa to enter Albania, which I easily obtained from the nice staff in the Albanian Consulate in Istanbul.
The next day I took a bus to Kastoria, in Greece and then to Pogradec, in Albania, where I spent the night. The next day I visited the lake Ohrid, and two days later I reached Durres, via Tirana, to catch a ferry to Bari, in Italy.
I arrived to Durres about 10 o’clock in the morning and the ferry was in the night, so I had a lot of time to getting to explore its tourist attractions. In my bus ride from Tirana, two nice Albanian made friendship with me and they would be my cicerone during a few hours in Durres, what I appreciated.
I remember that the Roman Amphitheater was in a state of almost abandonment. There was no entry fee. In fact I do not remember having seen any guardian around. The amphitheater was not fenced, so my new friends and I walked around to visit it.
I am confident that in present times the local authorities will take better care of that Amphitheater.
Date posted: September 2013

Have you been to L'amphitheatre de Durres? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

L'amphitheatre de Durres
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Albania

Site History:
1996 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party
1991Rejected
Of importance to Albania but does not meet WHS criteria

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact