Start | The List | Tentative | Timeline | Connections | Community | Missing | Forum | Resources | Blog

Fortress of S.Miguel

Fortress of S.Miguel is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Reviews

Jorge Sanchez (Spain):
I had to wait in Luanda for a boat going to Cabinda and then Sao Tome and Principe Islands,
Before finding the Catholic Mission I was sleeping in the beach of Chicala, in an island just at the end of the town, called La Ilha. It is united to Luanda by a kind of isthmus.
Around there are many kiosks selling sardines on the grill, so delicious! I used to eat there sardines together with a Portuguese beer Sagres to accompany the sardines. Everything is very cheap in that beach, just a few kwanzas.
Dominating the isthmus there is a fortressconstructed by the Portuguese in the XVII century that you can visit. It is called Sao Miguel and the entrance is free. Today is a military casern.
In the other side of the Ilha there are several hotels, apartments, and a small village more pleasant and less dangerous than Luanda. That area is called Bairro da Ilha do Cabo.
Date posted: August 2013

Have you been to Fortress of S.Miguel? Share your experiences!

Add your own review

Site info

Fortress of S.Miguel
This site is part of the Tentative list of: Angola

Site History:
1996 Tentative list
Submitted as tentative site by State Party

News and links:

© WHS 1997-2014 | Contact