Mdina (Citta Vecchia)

Mdina (Citta Vecchia) is part of the Tentative List in order to qualify for inclusion in the World Heritage List.

Click here for a short description of the site, as delivered by the State Party

Year Decision Comments
1998 Tentative list Submitted as tentative site by State Party

Reviews

David (UK):
I have been to Malta several times, but only on this visit did I get to Mdina. I was absolutely amazed by the beauty and atmosphere of the place: it leaves other mediaeval walled towns, such as Carcassone, standing. Gorgeous, stylish and beautifully preserved, its a mystery why this lovely little gem of a city does not have world heritage status.
Date posted: August 2014
Clyde (Malta):
This is one of my favourite places in Malta and now that the renovation works are ready even more so. The former capital city of Malta offers various fine buildings (especially those deriving from the Normans), a beautiful co-cathedral, great fortifications and it offers a spectacular panoramic view of the island. The imposing view of Mdina when driving from Mosta is captivating. If you're lucky enough to be in Malta in mid-March make sure to head to Mdina in the evening for some fine fireworks.
Date posted: April 2014
Els Slots (The Netherlands):
Mdina is the former capital of Malta, and located in the interior. After a couple of days in this country I have learned not to have too high expectations. Mdina turns out to be the number one highlight however. Despite large scale renovations going on, Mdina's atmosphere is chique, quiet (no cars!), clean and most of all enchanting. This walled city has a very Arabic feel, with its sober walls and splendid detailing in the doors and statues. There are also some fine palaces.
Date posted: August 2008

Have you been to Mdina (Citta Vecchia)? Share your experiences!

Add your own review