Built or owned by British
World Heritage Sites connected to 'Built or owned by British':
Aapravasi Ghat Australian Convict Sites Bridgetown "As a colonial city, Historic Bridgetown is representative of 17th century English-influenced urban development in the Anglophone Caribbean. Bridgetown was built upon a street layout resembling early English medieval or market towns with its narrow serpentine street and alley configuration, and is unlike the colonial towns established in the Caribbean by the Spanish (in the 16th century) or the Dutch and French (in the 17th & 18th centuries) who utilized a grid pattern. (AB Eval)Brimstone Hill Fortress Cape Floral Region Kirstenbosch Botanical gardenCentral Highlands At Horton Plains "the little cottage Farr Inn dating back to the colonial era has been transformed into an Information Centre and Museum but its colonial architecture has been preserved intact and painted in its original green colour to blend with the natural surroundings... Farr Inn was the hunting lodge of englishmen who hunted sambur, elk, deer and leopard in the whistling patanas for sport.Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Corfu 1815-64 United States of the Ionian Islands (Protectorate). Numerous buildings -e.g Palace of St Michael and St Georgu Costiera Amalfitana Villa Cimbrone in Ravello was owned and modified by Lord Grimthorpe.Forts and Castles Gold Coast e.g Cape Coast castle was rebuilt by the British after capture from the Danes in 1664. in 1844 it became the seat of government for the British colony of the Gold CoastHumberstone and Santa Laura Saltpeter Works The Humberstone works, originally called "La Palma", was run by the English company Gibbs + Co who acquired it after the War of the Pacific in which Chile obtained the nitrate area from Peru. Peru had just nationalised all the mines issuing certificates. During the war businessmen such as John Thomas North ("El Rey del Saltire") acquired these at a massive discount betting that the Chilean government (with whom they had contacts) would honour them - which they did. North then sold off the certificates on the London market to other entrepreneurs such as Gibbs. Incense Route of the Negev Mamshit was used as a British police station during the British Mandate.Independence Hall Built 1753 as Pennsylvania Colony State HouseKasbah of Algiers The church of the Holy TrinityKilimanjaro National Park Kibo hut built 1932 by the British ?Mountain Club of East Africa?Kunta Kinteh Island Lamu Old Town Buildings along sea front built during British ruleLushan National Park Meilu Villa built by Lord Lannoze in 1903 ; linkMatobo Hills Rhodes Memorial etcMelaka and George Town Georgetown contains numerous Victorian buildingsMonticello First occupied in 1770 when Jefferson was still British!Mountain Railways of India
Old City of Acre The Citadel was used as a prison (and place of execution) by the British during the Mandate. Old City of Jerusalem Christ Church at Jaffa GateOld Town Lunenburg Old Town of Galle The British didn't leave the Dutch area untouched during their period of rule. In particular a. "There are two entries into the fort, the Main Gate, built by the British in 1873 which pierces the main ramparts between the Sun and Moon Bastions, and the more venerable Old Gate, further to the east on Baladaksha Maw (or Customs Road). The latter is distinguished by the British coat of arms carved into its outer stone lintel" b. "The northern part of the fort is dominated by the British-built Clock Tower" c. "Further south along Church Street stands the Catholic All Saints Church, built by the British in 1868 and consecrated in 1871"Phoenix Islands Were part of the British "Gilbert + Ellis Islands. The atoll of "Orona was leased in 1916 to a Captain Allen of the "Samoan Shipping and Trading Company", and became a copra plantation. Allen's lease was bought out by the British government in 1938." (Wiki)Québec Much of the Citadel is of British construction "The Citadelle of Qu?bec is the most important fortification built in Canada under British rules. It was .. built under the supervision of Lieutenant-colonel Elias Walker Durnford. The construction of the outer walls began in 1820 and it took 30 years to finish its construction." and (Wiki) "The existing star-shaped fortifications were built by the United Kingdom between 1820 and 1831 under the direction of Lieutenant Colonel Elias Walker Durnford of the Royal Engineers, and incorporated a section of the French "enceinte" of 1745. Their purpose was to secure the strategic heights of Cape Diamond against the Americans" Red Fort contains many British military buildingsRideau Canal Robben Island Lighthouse etcRoyal Exhibition Building Saint-Emilion "When Eleanor of Aquitaine married Henry Plantagenet
(later Henry II of England), the town of Saint-Emilion, by
then fortified, became part of the English kingdom, along
with all Guyenne. King John granted the town full liberties
in 1199." (AB ev)St. George, Bermuda Stone Town of Zanzibar Livingstone House, Anglican Cathedral, National Museum and High Court etcValletta Various buildings/defense installationsWhite City of Tel-Aviv Built to British Town plan
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built or owned by British?
Send it to me!